Enjoy the livable alternative to a conventional chem-lawn
Learn more about native ecology
Before manicured lawns, with the chemicals, mowers, and blowers that come along with them, there were ecological meadows, with their butterflies, birds, and bees. With a meadow or native grass prairie, you'll experience the intricate connections between wildlife and native plant communities that serve as both food source and habitat. Whether restoring a small urban pocket garden or reclaiming an acre of suburban lawn, your meadow or prairie will be a refreshing alternative. Here are five reasons:
- Far more dramatic, interesting and sophisticated than a lawn of a single species
- Better for the environment
- Provide a safe habitat for pets, beneficial insects and birds
- They're alive with rhythmic movement, catching wind and light
- They require less maintenance and consume significantly fewer resources
Thrive harmoniously with native ecology
Many families don't want to put precious time and money into the all-consuming chore of a manicured, conventional lawn. We have the anecdote for that sterile, monotone and nature-less lawn: your very own Nebraska native grass mini-prairie.
Even if your "prairie" is the size of a postage stamp, it can still be an inhabitable space where you and native ecology thrive. Unlike traditional chem-lawns, a prairie is a playfully safe habitat for pets, birds, bees, butterflies and you. By attracting a diversity of living things, there is a feast of animation that is sure to entertain all ages. In My Antonia, Nebraskan author Willa Cather wrote, "As I looked about me, I felt that the grass was the country, as the water is the sea." Native Nebraska prairie grass is alive with rhythmic movement, catching the wind and bending light at dawn and dusk. No conventional lawn can do that.
You'll be able to choose from a list of native prairie grasses that match the conditions in your yard. The result is a "sea" of seasonal interest that's uniquely yours. Once established, it will require minimal maintenance. Prices start at just $1.25 per square foot and include:
- A prairie planned and designed with your EcoCoach so it's uniquely yours
- Removal of existing lawn and vegetation (which we will compost)
- Improvement of the soil with organic compost and compost tea
- Preparation of the seed bed and planting
- Use of our drip irrigation system with automatic timer (goof proofs watering) until plants establish
- Six months of chemical-free weeding and care
Call 402-575-7988 or request a quote and get more information about growing your very own "sea" of delightfully inhabitable native grass.